Against the Normalization of Right-Wing Extremism
Ratified at the WUJS Congressional Meeting held on December 31, 2017
This Congress notes…
- That the Far-Right Freedom-Party (FPÖ) is now part of Austria’s new government.
- Although the party is trying to whitewash its position, the FPÖ is still a racist, xenophobic, and antisemitic party to its core.
- Its leader, and Austria’s new vice-chancellor, Heinz-Christian Strache, was arrested in 1990 for activities with an illegal German Neo-Nazi Group, and did paramilitary drills with Austria’s leading Neo-Nazi Gottfried Küssel.
- 41% of the FPÖ’s parliamentarians are members of "Burschenschaften", far-right, antisemitic, German nationalist fraternities. Many of which still have an "Aryan clause", barring everyone they do not consider as "German" from membership, including Jews and all other minorities.
- There are countless incidents, in which lower level functionaries were involved in antisemitic acts and the denying of the Shoah in the last years.
- Not only the Austrian Union of Jewish Students (JöH), but also Jewish-Community-Leaders from all denominations, ethical and political backgrounds have condemned the FPÖ strongly and chose not to work with them.
- That it is a moral and political duty for a Jewish organization to oppose far-right Groups with an antisemitic past and present.
- To condemn the FPÖ and its inclusion in Government in the strongest possible form, like EUJS, WJC, EJC and countless other Jewish organizations have.
- Not to work with members or affiliates of the FPÖ and to boycott their government officials.
- To use its lobbying power, to convince other Jewish Organizations as well as the functionaries of the Israeli government to do the same.